Humanity's Natural Wisdom Will End -- I Corinthians 1:19
I Corinthians 1:19 AMP For it is written, I will baffle and render useless and destroy the learning of the learned and the philosophy of the philosophers and the cleverness of the clever and the discernment of the discerning; I will frustrate and nullify [them] and bring [them] to nothing.
In this verse Paul is referring to what God said through the prophet Isaiah as recorded in Isaiah 29:14. This is the verse:
Therefore, behold! I will again do marvelous things with this people, marvelous and astonishing things; and the wisdom of their wise men will perish, and the understanding of their discerning men will vanish or be hidden.
God gave humanity the ability to think and the capacity to reason. But so many today, as it was in ancient times, give themselves all the credit for the talents they possess. They become enraptured by the gift and fail to acknowledge that God is the Giver of all good gifts. James 1:17 (in part - AMP) Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above; it comes down from the Father of all light...
The gift is not to be honored above the Giver, who is God. God is an eternal being and so are we. When we transition from this earthly life, we will go back to eternity from whence we came. Some will enter a place of peace and rest while others will spend eternity in torment. If we receive Jesus as Savior and Lord and live the life He has purposed for us, then we will spend eternity with Him. But if we refuse His salvation and live life to our own pleasing, then eternity holds anguish and torment.
In order to accept and receive the salvation of the Lord, one must realize that there is so much more to life than what we experience the few short years spent on earth. All of this, including the intelligence that exists here, is temporary. No matter how brilliant a person may seem in earthly measures, that intelligence is useless in eternity. All the natural knowledge that some people scramble so hard to obtain is only useful for a short season. It's like spending thousands of dollars on the latest technology only to discover that in six months it is obsolete.
God is not against knowledge. He wants people to exercise the ability to learn. But only godly knowledge will serve us or be helpful in eternity. Hosea 4:6 My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge; because you [the priestly nation] have rejected knowledge, I will also reject you that you shall be no priest to Me, seeing you have forgotten the law of your God. I will also forget your children.
Natural intelligence and information are only applicable in the earthly realm. Eternal knowledge is useful in every aspect of our living whether it is here on earth or in the spiritual realm. Those who only rely on natural smarts will find themselves empty one day. In I Corinthians 1: 19 Paul reminds the readers that there are six things that will happen to the wisdom of those who don't trust and receive the Lord. These are the six.
1. Baffle - God will confuse their logic. What made sense to them before, won't make sense now.
2. Render Useless - Everything that worked for them before, won't work now. None of their formulas or calculations will produce anything helpful.
3. Destroy - God will destroy whatever is set above Him. Whatever a person loves more than they love Him will eventually be destroyed.
4. Frustrate - God will confound those who oppose Him and will resist their efforts to cultivate a satisfactory conclusion. He will block all their attempts to resolve their issues without Him.
5. Nullify - God will reduce all their reasonings to zero. Every strategy they employ will produce no results. The wisdom they held so dear will have no value at all.
6. Bring them to nothing - This is the culmination of it all. Zero. Void. Blank. Nothing. Whatever satisfaction they previously derived from their own wisdom is gone.
Just remember that God wants us to be eternal learners. Natural wisdom has its place but it is most important to learn the things of God. Natural learning is important and of value in the earth realm. Spiriual knowledge is always beneficial. Always use knowledge to glorify God.