Integrity or Insanity? - Part 3
Spiritual soundness will always rise up and speak truth in the face of lies and deception. Saul had lost his mind and was no longer able to operate in wise decisioning. His ability to discern wisely was gone. A person in this state will not and cannot adhere to reason and logic. Despite the Word of Truth that the priest Ahimelek shared with Saul, Saul still had the priests killed. Don't try to reason with the devil. Insanity will not respond correctly to wisdom and truth.
Before the murders, Ahimelek the priest, points out to Saul two vital aspects of the relationship between Saul and David. I Samuel 22 (NIV)
14 Ahimelek answered the king, “Who of all your servants is as loyal as David, the king’s son-in-law, captain of your bodyguard and highly respected in your household?
- David's dedicated civil and military service - David was loyal in his service to Saul as king of Israel. Saul had recognized David's abilities and not only assigned him as one of his personal bodyguards but had made him captain over them.
- David's personal and family connection and dedication - Saul had given his daughter Michal to David as his wife. David became a son to Saul and behaved himself wisely and honestly in all matters concerning Saul and his household.
The KJV of the same verse expounds on the manner and results of David's loyalty to Saul. I Samuel 22:14 (KJV)
14 Then Ahimelech answered the king, and said, And who is so faithful among all thy servants as David, which is the king's son in law, and goeth at thy bidding, and is honourable in thine house?
- David's service to Saul was exemplary. No one else served Saul with the same spirit of excellence as did David.
- David followed Saul's instructions and didn't insert his own plans or deviate from the orders he had been given.
- David conducted business on Saul's behalf in ways that were honorable and trustworthy. David made Saul look good.
- David brought respect to Saul's reign and household.
As mentioned previously, in all of these passages Saul refers to David as 'the son of Jesse'. This was an intentional tool of the enemy to minimize David's authority and position in the minds of the people. The devil will keep polluting the atmosphere and people's hearing with who he wants them to think you are. Satan only wants the people of God to be identified by their human associations instead of by their kingdom appointments and assignments. So Saul kept referring to David as 'the son of Jesse': the youngest, the smallest, the weakest, a youngster, a lowly shepherd, insignificant and so on. Saul did not want the people to recognize the kingly qualities that David exemplified in all of his activities.
It is the enemy's desire for the people of God to only be recognized by natural roots and human heritage. That is one reason he seeks to goad people into acting out of godly character and responding to challenging situations in the flesh. He wants those who have been chosen by God to focus on and become preoccupied with earthly substances and issues. All of those issues are temporary. An earthly inheritance is of no comparison to our eternal glory. Earthy substances are defective, subject to decay and are woefully insufficient to meet our needs. Your position in the Kingdom is divinely ordained and the enemy cannot displace you.
Stand strong in the Lord. Be true to the spirit of God in you. You are who God says you are: a king and a priest, serving faithfully the only wise God!